Happy Friday Lovelies,
This week was my third week of healthy living! I will admit that we took Monday off from the gym after the Super Bowl, but we did make it on Wednesday even with the snow day! I am still having fun working on different yummy and healthy recipes that are easy to take to work for lunch. This week even Robert jumped on board with the homemade Creamy Broccoli Cheese soup recipe that I found! I am sharing the recipe below:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (can use milk of choice, I used fat free)
- 1 head cauliflower florets
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onion and cook for several minutes until softened. Add in the garlic, stir and let cook about 15 seconds.
- Add in the broth and milk. Stir to combine. Add the cauliflower florets and seasonings. Bring to a simmer, cover and let simmer about 10 minutes until the cauliflower is softened.
- Turn the heat off, remove the bay leaf, and carefully transfer the soup to a blender or food processor to blend, then return to the pot.
- Turn the heat back to medium heat, add the broccoli and bring soup back to a simmer. Cover and let cook another 10 minutes.
- Once the broccoli is softened and easily mashed, then again turn the heat off and using the blender, blend the broccoli to desired consistency. I made mine nice and creamy, with no chunks. Next time I might save a few florets to include at the end for an added crunch!
- Once blended, turn the heat back to low, add the cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
Serve warm and enjoy!
This recipe was so flavorful and delicious, Robert even ate it cold and enjoyed it Fully! I am planning on adding some more smoothies into my dinner schedule next week. This week I had a smoothie on two evenings. They are filling and delicious, but I eat with my eyes and having a plate full of food is just something to look forward to! I will share some of my favorite smoothie recipes soon!